Friday, November 26, 2010

Week 6: the Archeology week, and returning to Dar


This was probably my least favorite week, but that’s because I was sick to my stomach for the majority of it. We went to Laetoli, Olduvai Gorge, Ngorongoro Crater (where we even saw a rhino!) and Lake Eyasi. On Sunday we drove back to Dar, which took about 12 hours or so.

I have mixed feelings about being back in Dar. It is insanely hot and muggy. Now that students are back on campus it is crowded. After living with everyone for so long, it feels odd to sometimes go days without seeing someone, and I miss having the whole group together. On the other hand, it is both mango and pineapple season. For lunch I eat a big plate of fruit (which costs less than a dollar) and my host family has pineapple for dessert after dinner. I’m very happy about this.



For Thanksgiving, a lot of us went out to dinner at Addis-in-Dar, an excellent Ethiopian restaurant. Four of us split a bunch of different dishes which were served on one giant piece of bread, which we ate with more of the bread. This was followed by coffee (real coffee, not the awful instant stuff that’s generally around) and ice-cream. All in all it was a delicious meal in a beautiful location with people I very much enjoy being around -- a very worthy Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment